Associate, Naval Architect
based in Glasgow
Direct Tel: +44 7709 417529
Office Tel: +44 141 572 5570
Simon Mackay is a Chartered Naval Architect (CEng) through the Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA) and became an Associate of Brookes Bell LLP in 2015. Prior to joining Brookes Bell Safety at Sea in 2011, Simon worked at Rosyth Dockyard providing engineering support for drydockings and repair activities within the yard on steel and GRP vessels.
Simon has experience in:
- Stability and structural assessments of both intact and damaged vessels to a variety of Classification and statutory rules.
- Use of a number of widely used stability software packages.
- Preparation of statutory stability documentation for numerous vessels.
- Draught surveys and incline experiments on a number of different types of ships.
- Supervising of physical model testing.
- Structural analysis on both new build and damaged ships structures, using both first principles and FEA techniques.
- Conducting surveys of damaged vessel structure and verified repair proposals.
- Attending salvage and wreck removal operations.
- Attending refloats of a number of vessels including a RO-RO ferry and a bulk carrier.
- Acting as a technical consultant for insurers, he has analysed salvage proposals and attended on site to monitor operations.
- MEng in Naval Architecture and Small Craft Engineering from the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde.