How can we help you?
Metallurgy and Material Science
Metallurgy is a branch of science and engineering, concerning the study of metals and materials. By understanding the fundamental behaviour of metals, our metallurgists can determine how a component or structure should react in a given environment or under certain mechanical loads.
Our Metallurgists are experienced in failure investigation, including securing and documenting samples, laboratory analysis and conducting forensic examination to determine the cause of failure.
We often provide technical consultancy services to shipyards, manufacturers and vessel Owners. This may be in cases when no failure has yet occurred, but a dispute arises over construction quality or further knowledge is needed with regard to handling metals and manufacturing processes. Given the complexity of modern-day investigation, we often work as part of a multi-disciplined team.
We have a wide range of experience in different cases, including:
- Recommendations on metallic design and materials selection for engineering applications
- Large scale fabrication projects
- Quality and manufacture disputes
- Technical consultancy in relation to weld repair and inspection techniques
- Corrosion analysis and advice on corrosion management
- Cargo surveys and claims involving ferrous and non-ferrous cargoes, including re-bar, steel coils, aluminium sheet/ingots, and various finished products, as well as galvanised steel.
- Quality of raw materials and finished products, and the effect of using contaminated/defective products in sound production processes.
Our inhouse laboratory capabilities include:
- High quality sectioning and sample preparation equipment
- Advanced digital microscopy
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- In Situ Material Analysis (Portable chemical analysis and hardness testing)
- Material Identification (LIBS, PMI-OES)
- Mechanical testing instruments
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)