Managing Inspection Engineer
Luke Swords is an Inspection Engineer with an 18 year tenure in the Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) sector, Luke Swords has firmly established himself as an expert in Electromagentic Testing (ET) methods and Weld Inspection. His specialised areas encompass Marine, Offshore, Civil Engineering, Construction, and land-based heavy plant installations. Luke's proficiency in large scale Asset Integrity Management campaigns throughout the oil and gas sector & ship construction yards globally, stands as a testament to his comprehensive understanding of the field.
Since joining Brookes Bell in 2021, Luke has been a pivotal figure in the Non-destructive Testing department, offering technical guidance to a global clientele that includes Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), industry stakeholders, and operators.
Luke's work portfolio features roles internationally on plant outage campaigns, shutdowns, and notably, coordinating NDT/weld inspections for significant bridge strengthening initiatives in the United Kingdom.
Luke's surveying and consultancy experience includes a diverse range of projects like structural visual weld inspections and corrosion mapping of ship decking to complex assignments such as inspecting subsea pipelines, caissons, risers, and jackets.
He is certified by the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing and CSWIP, comprising Eddy Current testing for both wrought and tubular products, Ultrasonic thickness measurement, Magnetic Particle Inspection and is certified as a CSWIP Weld Inspector by TWI (The Weld Institute).
Luke is fully trained & experienced with specialised NDT systems:
- Eddyfi Ectane system for all tube inspection techniques utilising Magnifi software.
- EddyFi TubePro for 3D heat exchanger bundle modelling.
- Eddyfi LYFT system for Pulsed Eddy Current inspection (PEC).
- Eddyfi LYFT PRO for analysis and reporting of PEC data.
- Eddyfi REDDY system for surface Eddy Current inspections
- Sonatest Wave Ultrasonic flaw detector
- Magnetic Particle Inspection PCN L2
- Eddy Current Wrought Products PCN L2
- Eddy Current Tube Testing PCN L2
- Ultrasonic Testing Compression L2
- 3.0 CSWIP Visual Inspector
- Eddyfi Pulsed Eddy Current Trained
- CCNSG Safety passport
- CSCS Skilled Worker Card
- 3a & 3b MEWP Operator
- Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme
Senior Inspection Engineer, Innospection Limited
Senior Inspection Technician, Viking Inspection Limited
Advanced NDT Technician/NDT Supervisor, Mistras Group Limited
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- Led various ECT/RFT Tube inspection projects on several different variations of heat exchangers/evaporators/chillers Worldwide.
- Completed storage tank floor inspections Worldwide utilising advanced NDT techniques such as SLOFEC (Saturated Low Frequency Eddy Current) & MEC (Magnetic Eddy Current).
- Team leader on subsea projects Worldwide including ROV retro fitting of advanced NDT tools and divers for inspection of subsea pipelines, conductors, caissons, structural jackets and flexible risers.
- NDT Coordinator on M25 Gade Valley Via Duct bridge structural refurbishment and strengthening project, organising, performing, and overseeing the daily NDT/weld inspection campaign.
- Job lead on various PECA (Pulsed Eddy Current Array) corrosion mapping projects, performed on Military Vessels, Super Yachts and RoRo Ferries.