Principal Marine Engineer
BEng (Hons), LLM, CEng, CMarEng, MIMarEST
Tom Ainsley is a Chartered Marine Engineer with a First Class Certificate of Competency (Motor). Additional qualifications include a Bachelor of Engineering Degree (with Honours) in Marine Engineering and Management and a Master of Laws in Maritime Law (with distinction). Tom joined Brookes Bell in 2017.
Tom's surveying and consultancy experience with Brookes Bell includes main and auxiliary engine failure investigations, fuel contamination cases, hull damage surveys, crane damages, bunker disputes and fire investigation. Tom has also provided technical advice on new-build disputes, including Superyachts.
Tom has prepared technical reports and has given evidence as an expert witness at arbitration in the UK.
Prior to joining Brookes Bell, Tom was at sea over a period of ten years serving on large Ro-Ro and Ro-Pax vessels, attending the new building and commissioning of part of a fleet of multi-role diesel electric Oil Recovery Vessels, ORV/Platform Supply Vessels (PSV). Tom subsequently worked offshore on these vessels in the North Sea.
Tom has served in all ranks up to Second Engineer and has considerable experience in the operation and maintenance of medium and high speed diesel engines, Dynamic Positioning (DP) system maintenance, High Voltage (HV) diesel-electric systems as well as geared and clutched power transmission systems. During his time at sea Tom has attended numerous dry-dockings, Failure Model and Effects Analysis (FMEA) trials and DP trials.
Tom has also experienced serving as a crewmember onboard sail and motor yachts up to 75 m and holds an MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
- Class One Certificate of Competency (Unlimited) Motor
- High Voltage Management
- Chartered Marine Engineer
- Member of the Institute of Marine Engineering Science and Technology
- BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management
- Masters in Maritime Law (LLM) with distinction
Previous Employment History
- V-Ships Offshore – Second Engineer
- Working on DP2 diesel-electric multi-role Oil Recovery Vessels/PSVs from newbuild delivery to work offshore North Sea. Tom was involved with bringing vessels up to owner operating specifications and rectifying defects and operational issues arising from the builds. He took part in FMEA and commissioning trials as well as several subsequent DP trials.
- P&O Ferries – Ranks from Cadet to Third Engineer
- During this time, Tom worked in ranks up to Third Engineer for P&O on large passenger vessels on various routes in Europe, taking part in several drydocking and overhaul periods.
- Yachts –Various Ranks
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- Bow-doors and visor hydraulic systems.
- FMEA testing of DP systems.
- Gearboxes and clutched transmissions; pneumatic and hydraulic.
- DP control and thruster maintenance.
- Azimuth thruster maintenance.
- Vibration analysis.
- Crane damage and wire failure investigation.
- Engine failure analysis.
- Turbocharger failure.
- Damage to reefer cargoes.
- Newbuild/warranty disputes (Commercial vessels and Superyachts).
- Damage repair estimation.
Types of main and auxiliary engines
- Rolls Royce
- SEMT Pielstick