Principal Master Mariner
BSc (Hons), MBA, CMMar, AFNI, HCMM
Alistair Roaf is a Chartered Master Mariner with a degree in Maritime Studies and a master's degree in Business Administration. He joined Brookes Bell in January 2008 from a position as Master within BP Shipping. Alistair took a break from Brookes Bell between 2014 and 2018 when he worked for Chevron as a Marine Vetting Specialist where he reviewed over 5,000 tankers.
Alistair has considerable ship handling experience on various vessel sizes. During his eighteen years at sea, Alistair served on a variety of tankers including lube oil, clean and dirty product, LPG and crude oil tankers up to VLCC. He has also served on a dredger and square-rig sail training vessel. Alistair has also worked ashore, for BP Shipping, as an Operations Superintendent.
Alistair has provided expert reports for, and given expert evidence in, legal proceedings including mediation and arbitration in the UK, United States and Canada.
- Class 1 Master Mariner - Foreign-Going
- Honours degree in Maritime Studies
- Master's degree in Business Administration (MBA)
- The Nautical Institute (Associate Fellow)
- Freeman of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners
Previous Employment History
- Marine Vetting Specialist at Chevron
This involved vetting liquid and gas tankers that had been nominated for Chevron's business, assessing for terminal suitability and ensuring the vessels met the company's security requirements.
- Master Mariner (Partner) at Brookes Bell
During this period, Alistair investigated and advised on cargo issues for most types of vessel, advised on port safety issues, navigation, piracy, fire, wreck removal and performance disputes. He also successfully gave evidence at mediation and arbitration.
- BP Shipping - Master
He served as Master on crude oil tankers and a dirty products tanker. The ships he commanded ranged from 37,000 tonnes deadweight to over 100,000 tonnes deadweight and traded worldwide. He also completed a voyage on an LPG tanker, as an additional officer, that would allow him to sail as Master on a gas tanker.
BP Shipping – 2nd Officer / Chief Officer
As Chief Officer he was responsible for planning and executing cargo operations for a variety of different tankers carrying cargoes of crude oil, clean and dirty oil products. He also acted as the ship's safety officer.
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
He has prepared technical advice and expert reports for commercial litigation and criminal proceedings to do with the following issues:
Damage to and/or loss involving:
Oil, liquid chemical and LPG cargoes
Grain, seeds and feedstuffs, both packaged and in bulk
Vessel structures and equipment
Investigation into and providing expert opinion on:
- Analysis of crew action in the event of and during fire incidents
- Cargo liquefaction
- Condition surveys
- Damage to harbour installations
- Draught surveying
- ECDIS playback analysis
- Fire control and crew support
- ISM assessment of crew actions
- Hatch cover surveys
- Heavy weather navigation
- Personal injury investigation
- Piracy (including route selection and cargo condition issues)
- Pollution control and recovery
- Pre-loading condition of cargo
- Safe port/berth investigations
- Salvage operations
- Speed and consumption performance disputes
- Stability considerations
- Structural damage to vessels
- Unsafe port claims
- VDR analysis of contact incidents and allisions
- Vetting issues (oil and bulk carriers)
- Wreck removal operations including project management