Consultant Master Mariner
Graeme Bowles is an experienced Master Mariner having spent over 35 years as a consulting surveyor after leaving the sea.
During that time he has seen a wide range of different problems and situations involving various ship and cargo types. He is listed by Lloyd's Salvage Arbitration branch as SCR in recognition of his extensive salvage and casualty management experience in various roles following fires, collisions, groundings and similar mishaps. His seagoing experience was mainly in chemical tankers and the problems associated with the handling of liquid cargoes in bulk, including chemicals and vegetable oils, form his particular expertise. He has written reports for and given expert evidence in litigation arbitration and mediation in England, Scotland, The Netherlands, the USA and China.
- Master Mariner, MNI, MIIMS
- Dangerous Cargo Endorsements for: Crude Liquid Petroleum or Petroleum Products of Liquid Chemicals
- Member of the Nautical Institute 1985
Previous Employment History
- C-Mar Consultants, Singapore - Managing Consultant.
- BMT Marine & Offshore Surveyors Ltd. (formerly BMT Murray Fenton and BMT Edon Liddiard) - Director P&I and Legal Services.
- Regional Director and more recently Regional Business Director, North West Europe - Senior Consulting Surveyor.
- Second and Chief Officer, chemical and product tankers, with Panocean-Anco.
As Chief Officer (for seven years) on chemical, vegetable oil and product tankers trading world-wide with cargoes including petroleum products, liquid chemicals in bulk, lube oils, molasses and vegetable oils. He had special responsibilities for cargo care; personnel safety and welfare; tank cleaning; cargo stowage; tank coating and ship maintenance.
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- Appointed as a member of the Lloyd’s SCR Panel by the SCOPIC - SCR Committee (from March 2010) - Special Casualty Representative with responsibilities for monitoring and cost controlling operations on behalf of all insured interests.
- Prepared Expert Reports on a variety of matters relating to charter party disputes, cargo damages, speed and performance and personal injury claims, leading to appearing as Expert Witness in various Arbitration and Litigation proceedings.
- Attended and investigated various grounding, sinking and collision (fixed and floating objects) incidents for various interests including the following involving salvage operations:
- ZELEK STAR (salvage after grounding – Israel – SCR)
- GOODFAITH (salvage after grounding - Greece - SCR)
- INDEPENDENT (salvage and refloating – Wales)
- AQUAFORTUNE (lightering and refloating, Turkey)
- CONMAR CAPE (salvage after grounding, Philippines - SCR)
- VALE BEIJING (structural collapse during loading)
- LENTERA BANGSA (FSO cargo recovery following fire)
- JOLLY AMARANTO (salvage after grounding, Egypt - SCR)
- KING DUCKLING (collision in Singapore)
- GENCO LOIRE (coal fire in Singapore)
- SIRIUS STAR (piracy damage off Fujairah)
- MSC NAPOLI (beaching off UK)
- PACIFIC ADVENTURER (collision off China)
- AL SAMIDOON (grounding and oil pollution in Suez Canal)
- SAN SEBASTIAN (explosion Red Sea)
- CONTSHIP CHAMPION (container fire UK)
- BULK GENOVA (grounding Suez Canal)
- EMIN (grounding Pakistan)
- MSC CARLA (broke in two off Canaries)
- KAPITAN SAKHAROV (sunk off Iran, client representative for ROV survey)
- MERAK S (coal explosion off Canaries)
- NEW WORLD (collision in Atlantic)
- RAPANA (pump room explosion Netherlands)
- Acted as a Navigation and Marine Operations Expert Witness in Commercial Arbitrations, Mediations, Admiralty Court and High Court cases and Formal Investigations in England, Scotland, Netherlands, USA and China.
- Attended and investigated several significant cargo damage incidents including bulk cargo damage, project cargo securing and collapse, loss of deck cargo, collapse of container stowage, chemical and vegetable oil contaminations, tanker pump room and cargo tank explosions, coal explosion and fire.
- Performed a wide range of vessel, cargo and port facility damage and condition surveys.