Principal Master Mariner
AFNI, Member of the Lloyd’s SCR Panel
Nick Haslam joined Brookes Bell as Partner in March 2019 after 22 years in the marine consultancy industry. He previously served at sea for 21 years in all ranks up to Master. He has considerable towing and anchor handling experience and previously worked for four years with a salvage company onboard salvage tugs. He also served on various ship types including reefer, container, bulk carrier, general cargo, tugs and AHTS.
Nick has carried out a variety of surveys and opinion-based work since becoming a consultant; these are listed at the end of this CV. His particular specialisations are in the areas of salvage and wreck removal; towing disputes; offshore operations; and salvage arbitration.
In 1999 Nick was appointed to the Lloyd's Salvage Arbitration Branch SCR Panel as Special Casualty Representative (SCR), in 2017 he was appointed as the SCR representative and sits on the SCOPIC Committee at Lloyd’s.
- Class 1 Master Mariner
- Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)
- BTEC Certificate of Achievement in Nautical Science
- National Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
Previous Employment History
- Group Director Shipping Services, Master Mariner, London Offshore Consultants Limited
- Chief Officer and Master, Fleet Safety Superintendent, The Maersk Company Limited
- Second Officer, United Towing Limited
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- He has assisted underwriters, liability insurers and owners in over 60 marine casualties around the World. He has been appointed as SCR/relief SCR on 26 occasions. Specifically, in the provision of specific specialist salvage advice including the following:
- FPSO Cidade De Sao Mateus (Brazil), provided technical input in respect to an explosion onboard FPSO including loss of life.
- Bull Sulawesi (Indonesia), provided technical input to owners and their P&I club in respect to a grounding incident, including lightering and refloat planning.
- Nica 1 (Indonesia), provided information to owners and their P&I club in respect to ground reaction calculation, lightering planning and refloating operation.
- Assisted owners and their P&I club during salvage services of MAERSK HONAM, container vessel.
Expert witness in respect to:
- Salvage services rendered during a protracted salvage operation (UK arbitration)
- Evidence as Court Surveyor (Belgian Court)
- Tug girting incident during salvage services (Chilean arbitration)
- Offshore supply vessel operations including allision with offshore structures (two occasions in Malaysian High Court)
- Damage sustained to quayside infrastructure during container discharge in port (Singapore High Court)
- Environmental impact of wreck removal operations (at a tribunal in New Zealand)
- Unsafe port claim (UK arbitration)
- Towage dispute settlement (UK arbitration)
In addition, he has attended a commercial mediation in respect to an unsafe port claim in Greece and has acted as technical comediator in respect to salvage services relating to a collapsed jackup rig in United States mediation.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author of The Nautical Institute published book; “Casualty Management Guidelines”. (ISBN: 978-1-906915-39-1)