Director of Nautical
Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar), FNI, HCMM, Lloyd's SCR Panel
Adrian Scales is a Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar). He joined Brookes Bell in January 2007 from a position as Master with P&O Ferries (Irish Sea) Ltd., and became Director of Nautical UK in 2019. He has considerable ship handling experience on various vessel types and gained pilotage exemption certificates for ports visited during employment with P&O. During his 18 years at sea, he served on various ship types including reefer/container, general cargo, freight ferries, Ro-Pax ferries and High-Speed Passenger Craft (HSC).
Adrian has carried out a variety of surveys and opinion-based work since joining Brookes Bell; these are listed at the end of this CV. His particular specialisations are in the areas of salvage and wreck removal; ship handling; ro-ro vessels and cargoes; high-speed craft; refrigerated vessels and cargoes; stowage and securing. Adrian also specialises in the assessment of crew actions following emergency incidents, especially fire, with respect to compliance with training and familiarisation on board Ro-Ro and general cargo vessels.
He has also been extensively involved in the investigation, assessment and overseeing of a number of recent salvage related/grounding incidents and wreck removals, including GOODFAITH (2015), SITEAM ANJA (SCR - 2016), NANCY GLEN (2018), PRISCILLA (2018), NEARCHOS (SCR - 2018), YANTIAN EXPRESS (2019) and HABIB EXPRESS (SCR - 2019).
In November 2015, Adrian was appointed to the Lloyd's Salvage Arbitration Branch SCR Panel as Special Casualty Representative (SCR).
Adrian has provided expert reports for, and given expert evidence in, court proceedings in the UK.
Adrian was awarded Chartered Master Mariner status in November 2017.
- Master Mariner – Unlimited – II/2
- Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)
- Diploma in Marine Surveying with ISM Specialist Subject
- Certificate in Salvage Response and Crisis Management
- The Nautical Institute (Fellow) - served on the National Council between 2006 and 2012 (MNI) and from 2015 (FNI) to date
- Liveryman of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners (HCMM) from November 2017
Previous Employment History
- P&O Ferries (Irish Sea) Ltd. - Master
Served as Master on Class 7 Ro-Ro, Ro-Pax and High-Speed Passenger Craft (HSC). Gained pilotage exemption certificates for all ports visited. Involved in the training of senior deck officers in their ship handling theory and practice. Assigned the task of implementing working systems, safety training infrastructure and SMS documentation for their two new RoPax vessels for the Cairnryan-Larne route, and achieved this by developing the ship-specific documentation and maintenance database programs. During 2006, was involved in various shore-based projects for management in respect of new building considerations and berthing scenarios.
- Interocean Ugland Ship Management - Chief Officer
Served as Chief Officer on the two modern reefer/container vessels serving the South American/European trade and West Coast of the US. Responsible for the safe loading, securing and stability of the vessel at all times. Generated various safety documents, implemented the planned maintenance systems for the vessels, bridge watchkeeping duties and involved in ship handling assessment with Master.
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
Damage to and/or loss involving:
- Grains, seeds and feedstuffs, both packaged and in bulk
- Neo-bulk cargoes, including steel and scrap
- Road haulage vehicles
- Steel, unfinished, finished and structural
- Timber products
Investigation into and providing expert opinion on:
- Analysis of crew actions in the event of and during fire incidents
- Cargo liquefaction
- Condition surveys
- Container securing system failures
- Container shift analysis and collapse of stacks
- Damages to harbour installations
- Draught surveying
- ECDIS playback analysis
- Fire control and crew support
- ISM assessment of crew actions
- Hatch cover surveys
- Lashing and securing of cargo
- New building disputes
- Personal injury investigation
- Pollution control and oil recovery operations
- Project management of container off-loading and survey operations
- Pre-loading condition of cargo
- Safe port/berth investigations
- Salvage operations
- Salvage and wreck removal cost analysis
- Speed and consumption performance disputes
- Stability considerations
- Structural damage to vessels
- Unsafe port claims
- VDR analysis of contact incidents and allisions
- Timber deck cargo stowage securing system failures
- Wreck removal operations including project management