Consultant Fuel Chemist
Alan Smaridge is a chemistry graduate and a Chartered Chemist. Alan worked initially as an analytical development chemist for a cosmetics and soap manufacturer before switching to the petroleum industry in 1982. He started out in this field as a laboratory chemist for an oil inspection company, analysing an extensive range of petroleum products and chemicals, later becoming a chemist inspector, gaining a wide knowledge of sampling, inspection and measurement procedures both in the UK and overseas.
Alan worked as an independent chemist surveyor and consultant for more than 20 years before joining Brookes Bell in 2009 where he continues to apply his experience to disputes involving a diverse range of commodities carried by road, rail and sea, including crude oil, numerous petroleum products and petrochemicals through to sophisticated pharmaceuticals.
Alan has set up and participated in numerous joint analysis investigations and is experienced in conducting field surveys aboard tankers, at refineries and storage installations worldwide. He has particular experience of bunker quality disputes and the chemistry of bunker fuel, and has served on several Institute of Petroleum technical panels.
Alan is an experienced expert witness and has prepared many reports and technical papers for use in arbitrations and High Court proceedings.
- BSc Joint Hons in Applied Science, University of Wales Institute of Science & Technology, Cardiff. Main subjects Pure & Applied Chemistry.
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (since 1981)
- Chartered Chemist Status (MRSC CCHEM)
- Served on the following Institute of Petroleum test method standardization committees:
- ST-B-4 Panel on flammability
- ST-B-10 Panel on general tests (fuels and light distillates)
Previous Employment History
- Independent Chemist Surveyor and Consultant retained by Minton, Treharne & Davies Ltd.
- Independent Chemist Surveyor and Consultant retained by T.J. Gunner & Sons Ltd.
- T.J. Gunner & Sons Ltd. - Chemist/Surveyor
- Analytical Chemist and Inspector Employment
- Inspectorate Ltd. - Senior Inspector/Chemist in the Oil Division
- Watson Gray (Analysts) Ltd. - Chemist/Inspector
- Yardley Manufacturing Ltd. - Analytical Development
Scientific and Consultancy Experience
- The investigation of quality disputes and shortage claims involving petroleum, chemical, LPG and vegetable oil cargoes. Investigative surveys on vessels, at shore installations and refineries on a worldwide basis, on behalf of cargo underwriters, P&I Clubs, oil companies, oil traders and shipowners. Testimony at arbitration and litigation proceedings.