BEng (Hons), PhD
Ian Moody graduated with a BEng (Hons) in Material Science and Engineering and a PhD in Metallurgy, leaving Imperial College in 1995. He then spent 18 years at British Steel (subsequently called Corus and Tata Steel), the final 12 as the Technical Manager for the International Projects team. There followed 3 years as Product Manager for Columbia Metals, a non-ferrous stockholder specialising in copper and copper alloys and 4 years as Conversion Metallurgist at NeoNickel, another stockholder specialising in titanium and nickel-based superalloys.
During his time at British Steel Ian was responsible for technically auditing numerous suppliers of steel products (including plates, sections, bars, coils and pipes) throughout Asia and Eastern Europe as well as managing the technical supply of steels to projects across the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia.
Ian joined Brookes Bell as a metallurgist in March 2022.
- BEng (Hons) Materials Science and Engineering (Imperial College London)
- PhD in Metallurgy (Imperial College London)
- Associate Member of the Institute of Metals Minerals and Mining
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- Claims involving ferrous and non-ferrous cargoes for handling damage, corrosion during transit and compliance with dimensional tolerance standards
- Claims involving aerospace part failures including turbine blades, avionics actuators and landing gear components
- Claims involving automotive engine components including valve stems, valve guides, cam shafts and gears
- Claims relating to chemical composition and mechanical properties of steels, stainless steels, titanium alloys, copper-based alloys, nickel-based alloys and cobalt-based alloys
- Witnessing of welding and weld repair procedure qualification on various API 5L linepipe projects
- Manufacturing issues during pressing of terne coated steel sheet into petrol tanks
- Manufacturing issues during drawing of wire rod into steel springs