Senior Marine Engineer
Conan O'Driscoll is a Marine Engineer with a Chief Engineer Certificate of Competency. He joined Brookes Bell in November 2012 and became an Senior in January 2021. Conan has 17 years' seagoing experience on board various vessel types, including container, RoRo and tankers, with 9 years' offshore vessel experience mainly on large DP2 vessels.
Conan worked as Ship Technical Superintendent managing geared bulker vessels trading globally, where he was responsible for safe and efficient management, with a technical bias, of 4X geared bulker vessels.
- Drydock preparation and management
- Ship technical inspections and ISM audits
- Identifying and implementing necessary upgrades of main engine and ancillary systems
- Equipment performance tests
- Crane load tests and surveys, including fault finding and rectification, on both cranes and grabs
Conan is a qualified ISM auditor and was responsible for ensuring vessels remained in compliance with all regulatory requirements including MARPOL, SOLAS, ISPS, etc.
As a surveyor, he has attended on various ship types, including container ships, general cargo vessels, bulk carriers and tankers. His main surveying and consultancy experience is in the field of hull and machinery surveys, including collision damage, main/auxiliary engine failures and various crane issues. He has also provided technical advice on various casualty investigation matters, including offshore incidents. He has also investigated fuel oil contamination cases. He has carried out various surveys on behalf of both Underwriters and P&I Associations.
- Class One Certificate of Competency (Unlimited) Motor
- ISM/ISPS Auditor
- Dynamic Positioning (Maintenance)
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Member of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
- Previous Employment History
- Massoel UK - Technical Superintendent
- Maersk Offshore - Second Engineer Officer/Relieving Chief Engineer
Mainly on DP2 offshore vessels up to 23,000 bhp. Project experience of deepwater anchor systems and, as Environmental Officer, was responsible for MARPOL/ISO 14001 compliance. New build/shipyard experience-identifying issues with design and actual implementation.
During this time sailed as Third Engineer with P&O Ferries and assisted with drydock and maintenance periods.
- Maersk Line - sailed as Fourth Engineer on container and tanker vessels
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
- Crane and winch failures
- Fire causation and damage investigation
- Main and auxiliary engines
- New build disputes, including independent verification of sea trial power vs fuel oil consumption
- On/Off-hire condition surveys on various vessel types, including tankers and offshore support vessels
- P&I entry surveys
- CPP and propulsion system failures
- Steering gear failures
- Structural damage assessments and repair estimates
Experience of many types of slow, medium and high-speed engines:
- MAN B&W
- Winch and associated hydraulic control systems, including Rolls-Royce/Brattvaag
- FMEA testing of DP systems
- DP control and thruster maintenance experience, including Kongsberg, Brunvoll and ABB systems
- New build commissioning and acceptance trials
- On-board Safety Officer