Senior Master Mariner
MBA, MSc, MNI
Ivan Todorov is a Marine Surveyor and a qualified Master Mariner with five years command experience on crude oil tankers. He sailed on all ranks from Junior Deck Officer to Master on various types of ships, predominantly tankers, for 16 years. He has four years of post-fixture and commercial operation experience during which he was liaising with Masters, charterers, ship brokers, agents, bunker suppliers and other commercial stakeholders. He worked one year as an MSQ superintendent with a tanker management company. He is a qualified Navigation Assessor and internal ISM/ISPS/MLS auditor.
Ivan joined Brookes Bell in November 2014. He investigates, surveys, troubleshoots and advises clients on a range of marine incidents; various navigational, maintenance and operational matters; cargo disputes as well as casualty investigations and assessments. He has provided litigation support by preparing expert reports and acting as an expert witness in arbitration proceedings in the UK.
Key strengths include: considering the clients’ instructions and achieving best results by providing independent and objective technical advice; applying detailed and systematic approach in his work; using own experience in combination with the industry regulations, guidelines, practices and knowledge; applying academic knowledge together with working experience.
- Certificate of Competence Master on ships of 3,000 GT or more
- STCW Certificates
- DNV-GL Internal Auditor Certificate for ISM, ISPS, MLC for Shipping Companies
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction Emergency Training Course
- Nautical Institute Navigational Assessment Course
- MBA in Shipping & Logistics - Middlesex University, London
- MSc (Navigation) - Naval Academy, Varna
- Member of the Nautical Institute
Previous Employment History
- MSQ Superintendent
Conducting internal navigation, ISM, ISPS, MLC and SIRE pre-vetting audits. Addressing the near-miss reports, accident and incident occurrences.
- Master and Chief Officer on board Crude Oil Tankers
As a Chief Officer on board tanker vessels, he successfully planned and executed over 200 liquid cargo operations at terminals and during ship-to-ship transfers. He prepared vessels for periodic annual and special surveys, as well as drydocking. As a Master, he was in charge of and managed the safe navigation, operation and maintenance of tanker vessels and looked after the wellbeing of the crew. The tankers under his command successfully passed Port State Control inspections, Flag State Annual Safety inspections, SIRE vetting inspections, external and internal audits, navigational assessments and audits.
- Operation and Post-fixture of Tankers and Bulk Carriers
He successfully operated vessels, provided voyage instructions to Masters, reviewed voyage and time charter party contracts, appointed agents, prepared various calculations - laytime, demurrage, profit and loss.
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
He has prepared technical reports, advice as well as expert reports for commercial disputes and litigation to do with the following issues:
- Cargo quality and quantity disputes of liquid and dry bulk cargoes
- Liquefaction of dry bulk cargoes – sample preparation, witnessing of moisture content and transportable moisture limit laboratory analyses
- Sampling and witnessing of laboratory analyses of various liquid and dry bulk cargoes
- Pre- and post-loading steel cargo condition surveys
- Lashing and securing of steel cargoes on bulk carriers
- Self-heating of coal cargoes, sampling and witnessing of laboratory analysis
- Cargo lightering and backloading operations during casualties
- Collision investigations from H&M, P&I and loss of hire perspectives
- Pre-purchase, on-hire and off-hire condition surveys
- Mooring system condition assessment and failure during ship-to-ship transfers
- Anchoring system and anchorages assessments
- Cargo hose failures during ship-to-ship transfers of liquid cargoes
- Bunker and MARPOL surveys and audits
- Crane, wire and hatch cover failure surveys
- Water ingress
- Speed and performance disputes
- Draught surveys
- Hatch cover condition surveys
- Tank cleaning disputes on oil/product/chemical tankers
- Unsafe ports/berth
- Human injuries and fatalities
- Passage planning
- Weather routing and heavy weather navigation
- VDR and ECDIS playback analysis
- Flag state quality audits