Metallurgy and Inspection
By understanding the fundamental behaviour of metals, our metallurgists can determine how a component or structure should react in any given environment or under certain mechanical loads.
The team at The Lab have a wealth of experience and understanding within metallurgy, ensuring that whatever your problem – whether it’s corrosion, component failure or quality control – we can quickly get to the root cause, saving you time and money.
We often provide technical consultancy services to shipyards, manufacturers and vessel owners. This can be in cases when no failure has yet occurred, but a dispute has arisen over construction quality or further knowledge is needed with regard to handling metals and manufacturing processes. Given the complexity of modern-day investigation, we can work independently or as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- Forensic Engineering and Metallurgical Consultancy
- Investigation of engineering components and systems to determine mechanisms of failure. Advice on selection and suitability of materials.
- Material Identification
- Material analysis and identification using a range of analytical equipment, sample preparation and microscopy techniques.
- On-site Inspection and Analysis
- Site inspection and analysis of material using a range of portable analysis techniques.
- Laboratory Inspection and Testing
- Inspection and testing of metals using advanced inspection techniques including advanced digital microscopy and scanning electron microscopy.