Metallurgy is a branch of science and engineering, relating to the study of metals and materials. By understanding the fundamental behaviour of metals, our Metallurgists can determine how a component or structure should react in a given environment or under certain mechanical loads.
We have a wide range of experience in different cases, including:
- Recommendations on metallic design and materials selection
- Newbuild construction, quality, and fabrication disputes
- Technical consultancy in relation to weld repair and inspection techniques
- Corrosion analysis and advice on corrosion prevention/protection
- Cargo surveys and claims involving ferrous and non-ferrous cargoes, including re-bar, steel coils, aluminium sheet/ingots, and various finished products, as well as galvanised steel.
- Quality of raw materials and finished products, and the effect of using contaminated/defective products in sound production processes.
Our inhouse analytical capabilities include:
- High quality sectioning and sample preparation equipment
- Advanced digital microscopy
- Portable chemical analysis (material identification)
- Mechanical testing instruments