Managing Naval Architect / Marine Engineer
Gurpreet Grewal is a Naval Architect with a range of experience in marine operations and analysis. His first employment was as a seagoing marine engineer and he has accumulated ten years of experience at sea on container ships, car carriers and LPG carriers.
Whilst working as a marine engineer, Gurpreet also carried out conversion and commissioning work on seismic vessels in the North Sea. He retrained as a Naval Architect, achieving his Bachelor of Engineering in 2009 before commencing his PhD on the topic of breaking wave impact loads and structural response. He has undertaken structural and fluid dynamics analyses on a number of legal cases, most notably on the cause of the structural failure of a tanker due to wave action.
- PhD. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering - "Breaking wave impact loads and structural response" - Universities of Strathclyde & Glasgow
- BEng. Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering - Universities of Strathclyde and Glasgow
- Class 5 Motor Certificate of Competency (issued by Singapore MPA, equivalent of MCA Class 4)
- Diploma in Maritime Studies (Marine Engineering) - Singapore Polytechnic
Previous Employment History
- Universities of Strathclyde and Glasgow - PhD Researcher, Dept. of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Responsibilities included the teaching of marine engineering courses and forensic structural and hydrodynamic analyses for court and arbitration. Contributed to research on the dynamics of wave impacts.
- Marine Exploration Partners A.S. (Norway) - Project Engineer
Carried out work on the conversion and commissioning of seismic ships including mechanical design and structural layout.
- A.P. Moller MAERSK A.S. (Denmark) MAERSK Line - Second Engineer
Served on container ships, car carrier and LPG tanker
Engineering and Consultancy Experience
- Structural analyses for forensic investigations
- Aerodynamic and hydrodynamic design analyses
- Cable dynamics analyses of complex marine systems
- Investigation into initial cause of tanker involving wave impact
- Structural analysis of hull failure of container ship in rough weather
- Stress analysis of offshore machinery failure
- Structural analysis of grounding damage of bulk carrier
- Investigation into hull failure of tanker during ballasting
- Design analysis of novel MES system in rough weather
- Analysis of crane failure