Senior Master Mariner
Graham Hill, a Master Mariner with a 23-year seagoing career, joined Brookes Bell in 2012.
Graham Hill is a Master Mariner who joined Brookes Bell in July 2012 from a position as Joint Head of a Claims Management Office in the Far East on behalf of a large multi-national oil spill compensation fund. During his 23 years at sea, Graham served on numerous ship types, including passenger vessels, car carriers, bulk carriers, container vessels, oil tankers, gas tankers, refrigerated vessels and general cargo vessels.
Graham has 8 years' command experience on bulk carriers and car carriers. The bulk carriers were mainly operating from East Canada to the Caribbean or South America. Graham has extensive experience of ice navigation in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, as well as transiting the Amazon River as far as Trombetas.
After leaving the sea, Graham spent over 5 years employed by a leading safety, inspection and training consultancy engaged in sailing on-board various vessel types to undertake safety and condition/pre-vetting inspections, and training the crew in safety and ISM/ISPS procedures. Other typical work included internal ISM/ISPS audits and assisting the crew, during change of management or new building deliveries, to comply with Class and Flag State requirements for ISM and ISPS audits. For 2 years he was the manager of the Operations Department, responsible to the owners and managers for a team of approximately 20 marine consultants. This entailed, amongst other responsibilities, reviewing and approving all training and inspection reports, liaising with the owners and managers regarding attendance and requirements as well as costs and budgets.
- Master Mariner
- MCA approved ISO/ISM Lead Auditor
- HND Nautical Studies
Previous Employment History
- Joint Head of Claims Handling Office for a large oil spill incident on behalf of an international compensation fund.
- Operations Manager, SeaTec UK Ltd., responsible for daily management of the Safety Operations department.
- Marine Safety Consultant for SeaTec UK Ltd. Scope involved on-board training of ships' crews, safety inspections, ISM and ISPS audits, pre-vetting inspections and preparation for SIRE/CDI inspections. Crew training for pre-delivery new buildings and 'new to management' hand-overs. Pre-delivery and pre-purchase condition assessments.
- Azalea Maritime – Master - A fleet of car carriers operating in the Mediterranean/North Europe area. Included self pilotage for Newcastle berths.
- Denholm Ship Management – Master - A fleet of handy-size and panamax, ice class, bulk carriers operating mainly in the South America/Canada area. Extensive experience of ice navigation in the St. Lawrence and winter navigation in the North Atlantic.
- Denholm Ship Management – Chief Officer - Bulk carriers and feeder container vessel.
Surveying and Consultancy Experience
Damage to and/or loss of:
- Containers and/or their contents
- Total loss of vessel at sea
- Stevedore damages to cargo hatches
- Break bulk cargoes
- Minerals in bulk
- Steel – unfinished, finished, structural and scrap
- Wind turbine components
- Overloading of and/or damage to tween decks
- Project cargoes
- ISM and ISPS audits and implementation on-board vessels
- Personal injury
- Unsafe ports
- Ice navigation
- Ice damage to vessel's hull and propeller
- Pre-purchase surveys
- Damage to various port installations and structures
- Stowing, lashing and securing of break bulk and project cargo
- Cargo liquefaction
- Draught and deadweight surveys
- Operation of overseas Joint Claims Offices, handling claims arising from a major pollution incident
- General Average
- P&I condition surveys