MEng (Hons), CEng, MIMMM, AMIChemE, AMIMarEST
Kim Chua is a chartered engineer with a First Class MEng (Hons) degree in Chemical and Materials Engineering. She is API 580 certified. She joined Brookes Bell as an in-house metallurgist in 2018.
Kim has 12 years of industrial experience in a rolling mill and several laboratories, specialising in testing of corrosion resistant alloys, steels and aluminium alloys. She has implemented product development projects for wrought aluminium alloys, provided metallurgical consultation and conducted failure investigations. She has sour service testing experience, foundry experience, skills in destructive testing and non-destructive testing techniques, particularly replication, strain gauge measurements, and power line (Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced, ACSR) assessment.
Prior to joining Brookes Bell, Kim had carried out investigations on-site and in the laboratory. She was responsible for ensuring the laboratory tests were performed to international standards including ISO, NACE, ASTM and API. As a senior metallurgist at the rolling mill, she was responsible for ensuring the wrought aluminium alloys were manufactured to specifications stipulated in customer and international standards including EN, ASME, ASTM etc. She has also jointly patented a new rolling method for the manufacture of wrought aluminium alloys.
During her time at Brookes Bell, she has been involved in condition assessments and joint inspections of chemical tankers and bulk carriers. She has carried out joint sampling, investigation, testing and provided opinions of damaged wire ropes, structures, propeller blades, turbine blades and engine components. Using NDT metallurgical replication technique, she has taken in-situ replica samples of fracture surfaces and cylinder liners to preserve evidence of damaged components in the events that these components were not available for destructive testing at a laboratory.
- Master of Engineering degree with First Class Honours in Chemical and Materials Engineering.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Member of the Institute of Metals, Minerals and Mining.
- Member of NACE International.
- Associate member of Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Associate member of Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology.
Previous Employment History
- Lead engineer at Suez WTS (previously GE Water)
- Corrosion engineer at Element Global Corrosion Centre (previously Exova)
- Senior metallurgist at Arconic (previously Alcoa)
- Metallurgist at Arconic (previously Alcoa)
- Corrosion engineer at Quest Integrity NZL Limited