Cui Lei is a qualified coating inspector/consultant with over 13 years of experience with marine and protective coating systems. Cui joined Brookes Bell in December 2020, having previously worked as a coating superintendent for the Safinah Group.
Before working as a coating consultant, Cui spent several years working on new-build and ship repair projects. He is Familiar with surface preparation and relevant paint standards such as ISO, SSPC/NACE, ASTM, amongst others. While working as a coating superintendent, Cui has inspected and reported on a wide range of issues relating to coating system failures and loss of performance issues, such as:
- Liaising with ship owners, paint suppliers and yards regarding repairs and coating failures.
- Inspection of fouling and hull damage at yards during repairs or vessel service.
- Visual deterioration of cosmetic finishes due to staining, UV and discoloration.
- Assessment of coating damage due to improper application, improper surface preparation, unsuitable application climate and formulation issues.
- Collection of appropriate forensic evidence, e.g. photographs, paint flake samples, on-site measurements, blister fluid, and amine bloom samples.
- Analysis of complex analytical test reports.
- Familiar with the application and quality control aspects of various coating suppliers.
- Training and Familiarization of shipyard staff for coating preparation and application work.
Cui Lei has extensive experience with on-site coating inspection, process control, surface preparation and paint application processes.